The girls have been talking about tadpoles for weeks.
Well, they finally got their opportunity to wade in the marsh land near a local park and get their fill of tadpoles.
Unfortunately, we were not able to collect them and bring them home to view their double life: tadpole to frog/toad.
But there is always next year!
Our new little friends ! They had their tails.
What we learned about tadpole care:
- Place the tadpole in a small aquarium - only 5 to 6 in a 1-gallon container
- Use the pond water or spring water
- Tear some lettuce or spinach leaves into pieces (boil them one minute)
- Add a pinch of cornmeal
- Once the tadpoles grow legs, add a small piece of liver or a bit of hard-cooked egg yolk, along with the cornmeal and other foods
- Change their water daily (they make a lot of waste)
- As they grow legs, they will need to climb out of the water - they are ready to breathe air
- Add lily pads, floating wood or rocks to the aquarium
- When they have four legs, they are ready for land - it's best to release them now!
Books we enjoyed this week: